2/7/11

Brother Cox Response Questions


1. Select at least three of Bro. Cox's 12 career "hints" and report what you are currently doing to follow his recommendations.  Be specific in describing how you are living each "hint.

Leave things better than you found them
     My theme in the work place is "there is wisdom and order in all things." I like smooth and efficient processes. If I notice a better way for something to be carried out, I like to make it happen. Now not just focusing on tangible conditions, I also like to increase the spiritual nature of a place/group of people. I feel that one of my strengths is uniting people.  

Do more than is expected
     I am a perfectionist. When I am given a task, I focus on the end result and always look for a unique way to accomplish the task. I like to stand out and be noticed for my accomplishments. It seems boastful, but I also think its a way for me to push myself to be innovative. But for some reason, I have felt that I have not been able to exceed my expectations at BYUSA. I feel that most of my semester has been figuring out what my responsibility is in my position so its been a struggle for me to accomplish projects and then exceed my responsibilities. I am trying really hard, but then I think that I overwhelm my capabilities. 

Sprout deep roots
     When Brother Cox shared this hint, it rang true for me. Along with "Leave thing better than when you found them," I like to make lasting results. The results may be tangible or in the environment of the work place. I was able to apply this concept most on my mission. I loved working with the members and planting deep roots of trust and respect with them. I feel that in doing so, they felt more motivated to share the gospel with their friends. I feel that I left a good impression of missionaries in all the areas I served in. 

2. Select one or more "hints" from Bro. Cox upon which you feel a need to improve your focus. Be specific about your plans to better incorporate this "hint" into your life.

Don't measure success by fame or fortune. 
     Growing up as a dancer made me get into the mindset that I needed to be a famous dancer in order to be successful and happy! As I got into musical theater, my desire to be famous grew even more. Now being in the advertising business, and probably all fields of study are similar, but it seems that to be most profitable in life, one needs to live and work in New York, New York and work for the biggest company with the biggest title. 
     I've come to realize that it is not the route that is close to possible for me, nor is it necessary for me to take in order to be truly happy. Not saying that I still won't strive to do my best and succeed in my career, but I've learned that I can't let the amount of my paycheck reflect my success. I've seen many happy and well establish people, especially on my mission, in small towns and in a local company. 
     I will apply this principle in my college career by taking any opportunity I can to put my skills into practice, no matter how low pay or non-praiseworthy my position may be. I will also include prayer and pondering into my searching, deciding, and confirming stages of life. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment