9/28/10

Response Questions: Sept 27

1. What are some ways that you have encouraged others to generate creative, resourceful solutions to problems and what were the outcomes? Please use a specific incident in your answer.

The most recent example I can recall was within the BYUSA office. In a stewardship, Sterling challenged me to delegate responsibilities to my EDs so that I am less stressed and my EDs would have an opportunity to learn and then delegate to their PDs. I had a stewardship with Morgan and he told me that he is having a hard time finding people for his film team. I told him a way I found branding committee members last year was I announced in an advertising class about the opportunity to serve on a branding committee. I also told him that since he wasn't directly over the committees, he should have his PDs make announcements in the specified classes.

2. In your opinion, what are the most important behaviors (as defined in your student manual) in getting results with a project or problem? Explain why you have chosen these and use specific personal examples to add merit to your claim.

a) Has a clear vision of desired results
b) Planning and organization
c) Creates high-performance team


a) Without a goal, the other attributes would benefit nothing. On my mission, when planning a baptism for an investigator, my companion and I set a date for them prior to our lessons and planned out the necessary steps for them and for us to work towards their baptism. If we didn't set a date, the steps we knew were necessary for a baptism to occur would not have been accomplished efficiently, or even at all, because there was no motivation for an end result. 


b) In relation to my first example, once a goal is selected a plan is essential to ensure that the goal is accomplished by the select deadline. Also with planning, minor details are recognized and not overlooked. 


c) An example of a good leader is one who motivates, not directly, but through their own performance and attitude throughout the project. What is important to point out is the fact that the leader is not just a leader, but also a participant. I feel that many people within a team can be a leaders, everyone has their different strengths. A personal example is when the presidency worked on Involva-palooza. Chris was a great motivator. He made assignments and dealines and was diligent in following up with each of us.

3. What are your personal strengths in getting results on projects or problems, and how can you use and implement them in your current leadership position to benefit your team?

As mentioned in a previous response, I learn from my mistakes and I like for all of my projects to be perfect. I do my best to look at the project as a whole and map out the steps that I will need to take in order to achieve my desired outcome. I tend to notice operations that could be more functional, whether it is an unorganized space or process of paperwork.
With my team, I hope to notice dysfunctions or opportunities for growth quickly. I also hope that I can gather my team early with a project, point out our goal, map out our steps, and assign duties for each step. It is also important to create deadlines to keep everyone on task. This is most important when working with a team.

1 comment:

  1. i think one of the signs of a good leader is choosing good people for their team. I think you have chosen a great team and keep up the good work in motivating them to do good work. :)

    ReplyDelete