9/27/10

Response Questions: Sept 20

1. Remembering that you don’t have to be good at everything, what are two or three strengths that you have developed in your life and that set you apart from others?

I really don't like pointing out my strengths because some people may not recognize these qualities in me.
a) But I have noticed, and it's been pointed out to me, that when I am given an assignment and first dont' succeed, the next time I have the opportunity to perform the same task, I learn from my failure and improve my performance and outcome. I generally tend to go above and beyond what is expected, and then I tend to shoot too high and don't complete all that I need. But then I learn from experiences like that where I plan out my steps the next time.
b) This is something that is a bit on the personal side, but another quality that has been pointed out to me. In my patriarcial blessing it states that I will be of compassionate service to others and people will come to me for guidance. I feel that I have in some ways lived up to my potential. Thinking back to high school, I have a lot of friends that came to me for solace. Maybe because I grew up as the only Mormon in my graduating class and total of 3 other members in my high school, so most of my associations were with non-members that maybe saw me as someone which a greater perspective. I also felt that I had an extra measure of expectation upon me, so i behaved accordingly, and that's maybe why others felt they could come to me to share their troubles or find advice. I think that because many people came to me with their problems, and all I could do was listen since I didn't know how to help them, I have developed an understanding and compassion for others. I try not to be judgmental and be more understanding of others' behavior, beliefs, values, and circumstances in life.

2. Why do you think General Norman Schwarzkopf felt that character is more important than strategy?

I think that if one focuses on their character, then strategy will come. I feel that they define strategy as the guts to why and how. But without focusing on those details, if someone has a true and strong character then a strategy will be natural in the how and what they do. 

3. In your BYUSA assignment, what have you chosen as your “hedgehog,” or the thing(s) that you will do better than anyone else?

I hope to be able to not only explain the BYUSA vision with great spirit and passion, but I also hope to portray it through my service and interaction with others in the office and even outside of the office and school.

I also hope to be a leader of respect and fun. If I could be the best at anything, I would want to have the perfect mix of being bold, responsible, welcoming, happy, and an example of divine-centered leadership

1 comment:

  1. The ability to listen and comfort is a great ability and will allow you to enhance any situation you are in.

    Just wondering where the answer to #2 is?

    ReplyDelete